The Mondadori Group has reached a level of readiness in the area of Sustainability that has enabled it to shift from a timely reporting of its operations, in compliance with regulations, to a strategic approach, i.e. aimed at defining ESG guidelines, in line with the objectives launched at global level by the United Nations.
This has led the Mondadori Group to create its first-ever Sustainability Plan, which identifies short, medium and long-term targets and actions to improve performance in social, governance and environmental terms.
The Plan was developed through a materiality analysis aimed at identifying the elements of strategic interest with regard to the Group’s activities.
Focus points derived from relevant key frameworks were made explicit and benchmark and positioning analyses were performed, as well as an assessment of the company’s value chain and priorities.
This mapping was accompanied by multiple moments of stakeholder engagement: this phase saw the active involvement of company management, employees and other relevant stakeholders, such as teachers and customers of the bookstores.
The reflection process led to the identification of the areas and strategic lines of sustainability on which the Group intends to work in the future through the achievement of targets set on an annual basis and periodically updated.
The 3 relevant macro areas of the Sustainability Plan and the respective guidelines identified for 2022 reflect the Group’s identity, its mission and its role as a publisher in our society.
Enhancing people, content and places for education and culture
1. To become a role model in the field of diversity, equity and inclusion, enhancing and contributing to the well-being of our people, through welfare tools and skills development.
2. To promote culture and quality, equitable, and inclusive education that fosters pathways to lifelong learning.
3. To create, conceive and develop valuable content and accessible, ESG-friendly products.
4. To support cultural outposts for social development through the enhancement of bookstores, schools, museums, social channels, events and partnerships.
Promoting sustainable business success
1. To pursue sustainable business success by promoting the integration of ESG issues in governance, business plans and the operating model, also by strengthening the mechanisms for listening to stakeholders to develop paths of ongoing improvement.
2. To maintain the highest standards for protecting and managing risks and opportunities along the value chain.
Dissemination of an environmental culture and mitigation of impacts on ecosystems
1. To spread environmental culture, also through education aimed at the development of an increasingly sustainable lifestyle.
2. To mitigate environmental impacts throughout the print product life cycle, by fostering the protection of biodiversity and reducing climate-changing emissions.